Skip to main content

Guidance counselor FAQs

On this page you will find frequently-asked questions for guidance counselors.

Where can I get financial aid information?

Information about federal and provincial government financial assistance is available on the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) website. For information on UOIT's financial aid programs visit the scholarships and bursaries section of this website.

Back to top

What is OSAP?

The Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) is a government program that provides financial aid to qualified students to help pay for education-related costs such as tuition, books, living costs and transportation. OSAP offers two kinds of aid:

  • Grants that a student does not have to repay
  • Loans that a student must repay

Back to top

What are the eligibility requirements for OSAP?

OSAP is open to Ontario residents who are a:

  • Canadian citizen
  • permanent resident, or
  • protected person

Back to top

How and when should students apply for OSAP?

Students should apply on the OSAP website as soon as they have been accepted into a program and know they will be attending UOIT. We recommend applying four to six weeks before their program starts.

Back to top

Is every student entitled to OSAP funding?

No. OSAP eligibility is based on financial need. The Ministry determines the level of financial need based on the information submitted in each student's OSAP application.

Back to top

Do students have to apply for OSAP each year?

Yes. A student must submit a new OSAP application each new academic year.

Back to top

Does OSAP cover all expenses associated with post-secondary studies?

No. OSAP is designed to supplement the expected contributions of students and parents.

Back to top

How long does it take to process an OSAP application?

The application process takes from four to six weeks:

  • Students must submit their Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA) to the National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC) in person through a designated Canada Post outlet.
  • UOIT Student Awards and FInancial Aid must process their signature pages and all supporting documents.
  • Applications must go through a Social Insurance Number, Ministry of Transportation and credit check.

Application times vary. We encourage students to apply early.

Back to top

What is the Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA)?

The MSFAA is a lifetime student loan agreement for full-time students that generally has to be completed only once during a student's post-secondary studies. The agreement contains the terms and conditions a student must agree to, in order to receive and repay his or her OSAP loan.

Back to top

How do students apply for the Ontario Tuition Grant (OTG)?

The Ontario government offers a 30% Off Ontario Tuition Grant for eligible full-time undergraduate students. If a student applies for OSAP assistance, he or she will be automatically considered if they meet the eligibility criteria. If a student is not applying for OSAP he or she can apply on the OTG web page.

Back to top

What other types of financial assistance are available?

The Student Awards and Financial Aid (SAFA) office offers several forms of financial assistance including:

Back to top

What awards does the university offer and how do students apply?

UOIT offers a variety of awards and scholarships that recognize student achievement including: awards of recognition, in-course scholarships and application-based scholarships. Visit the Scholarships and bursaries section of our website for information and application instructions.

Back to top

What bursaries does the university offer and how do students apply?

Bursaries are awarded to UOIT students based on financial need and include (but are not limited to):

  • Aboriginal Student Bursary
  • General bursaries
  • UOIT International Education Scholarship (approved travelling abroad)

Visit our Bursaries web page for more information.

Back to top

Whom can I contact for more information?

Contact the Student Awards and Financial Aid office at 905.721.3141 or by email at

Back to top

University of Ontario Institute of Technology logo